Events, Papers, Talks, Posters, Conferences, etc:
- 3/17/2015 A. Hubler, T. kirsh, Harvesting Wave Energy with Resonant Observers, to appear in Complexity
- 1/24/2015 A. Belkin, A. Bezryadin, A. Hubler, Self-Assembled Wiggling Nano-Structures and the Principle of Maximum Entropy Production, to appear in the Nature journal Scientific Reports
- 1/1/2015 Alfred Hubler, Andrey Belkin, Alexey Bezryadin, Noise Induced Phase Transition between Maximum Entropy Production Structures and Minimum Entropy Production Structures?, to appear in Complexity, preprint
- 11/24/2014 Alfred Hubler gives 2 talks at MIT
- 10/31/2014 Alfred Hubler gives a talk at the SPS section 8 meeting
- 4/15/2014 Alfred Hubler's US patent Nano Vacuum Tube Arrays for Energy Storage is issued and assigned patent number 8,699,206, patent
- 3/8/2014 Alfred Hubler, Emergence of Functionality in Evolving Physical Networks, Projects at the Center for Complex Systems Research: Crazy Ideas and Small Miracles , 2 presentations at Stanford University
- 4/1/2014 Alfred Hubler What forces reduce the entropy production?, Complexity, 19(5), 6-7(2014) preprint
- 12/6/2013 Alfred Hubler, Maja Tomicic, Star Shaped Solids: Objects with a Negative Dimension, Complexity, 19(3), 7-9(2013)preprint
Annual Business Network and Board of Trustees Symposium of the Santa Fe Institute
- 10/1/2013 Alfred Hubler, Andrew Friedl, Nonlinear response of chemical reaction dynamics, Complexity 19(1), 6-8(2013). preprint
- 8/1/2013 A. Hubler, David Lyon, Gap Size Dependence of the Dielectric Strength in Nano Vacuum Gaps, IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, 20(4), 1467-1471 (2013), preprint
- 7/20/2013 Talk at CLNS, Los Alamos National Lab.
- 5/1/2013 Submitted disclosures to the University of Illinois on novel battery technology. The U of I filed 2 provisional patents.
- 1/22/13 Alfred Hubler, Synthetic Atoms: Large energy density and record power density, Complexity 18(4), 12-14(2013), preprint
- 12/5/2012 Accepted invitation to join the editorial board of the Journal of Chaos
- 12/5/2012-12/7/2012 talk at Complex 2012 entitled "The Dynamics of Propagation Fronts on Sets with a Negative Fractal Dimension", to appear in Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Complex Sciences: Theory and Applications, Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering (LNICST), Springer preprint
- 11/30/2012 Alfred Hubler, Are there any diaelectric materials? Complexity 18(3), 8-10(2013), preprint
Annual Business Network and Board of Trustees Symposium of the Santa Fe Institute
- 10/23/2012 Physics Colloquium at Illinois State University in Normal, IL
- 10/22/2012 Eric Shinn, Alfred Hubler, Dave Lyon, Matthias Grosse-Perdekamp, Alexey Bezryadin, and Andrey Belkin, Nuclear Energy Conversion with Stacks of Graphene Nano-capacitors, Complexity 18(3), 24-27(2013), preprint.
- 8/14/2012 Alfred Hubler, A noise induced phase transition to chaos in systems with static friction, Complexity 18(1), 7-9(2012), preprint
- 6/1/2012 N. Sachdeva, A. Hubler, A Phase transition between chaos and a set of stationary states within a fractal basin of attraction in waterwheels with static friction and noise, preprint.
- 2/3/2012 Alfred Hubler, Probabilistic L-systems can look like the branches of plants and trees, Complexity, 17(4), 5-7(2012), preprint.
- 1/12/2012 Alfred Hubler, Is symbolic dynamics the most efficient data compression tool for chaotic time series? Complexity 17(3), 5-7(2012), preprint.
- 8/26/2011 A. Hubler, Are Candle Stick Bars a Good Tool for Data Compression in Natural Science? Complexity, 17(1), 5-8(2011), preprint
- 6/26/2011 Plenary talk at ICCS in Boston.
- 5/27/2011 Seminar talk at Stanford University.
- 4/27/2011 Alfred Hubler, Cory Stephenson, Dave Lyon, and Ryan Swindeman, Fabrication and Programming of Large Physically Evolving Networks, Complexity 16(5), 7-8(2011), preprint.
- 2/28/2011-/3/2011 Invited booth at the ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit to showcase our work on energy storage. poster
- 2/8/2011-2/12/2011 Aspen Center for Physics 2011 Winter Conference, New Data From the Energy Frontier
- 12/03/2010 M.Singleton, G. Heiss, and A. Hubler, Optimization of Ramified Absorber Networks Doing Desalination, Phys. Rev. E 83, 016308 (2011), preprint.
- 11/29/2010 A. Hubler and A. Gerig, Are Discrete Models more Accurate? Complexity 16(2), 5-7(2010), preprint
- 11/23/2010 V. Soni, P. Ketisch, J. D. Rodriguez, A. Shpunt, and A. W. Hubler, Topological similarities in electrical and hydrological drainage networks, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 036103 (2011), preprint
- 9/26/2010 Started to serve on the Program Committee of the 8th International Conference on Complex Systems, Boston, June 26, 2011-July 1, 2011
- 8/27/2010 A. Hubler and J. Crutchfield, Order and disorder in open systems, Complexity 16(1), 6-9(2010), preprint
- 7/2/2010 Lecture at the teachers workshop Demystifying Complex Systems by Thinking About Networks at SFI
- 6/6/2010-6/26/2010 A. Hubler and Qi Chen, Complex Systems Summer School of the Santa Fe Institute, a 1-hour lecture and four 2-hour labs, lab manuals
- 4/16/2010 Dene Farrell, Alfred Hubler, Joseph Brewer, Ines Hubler, Acceleration beyond the wave speed in dissipative wave-particle systems, Complexity 15(5), 8-11 (2010), preprint
- 2/23/2010 A. Hubler and O. Osuagwu, Digital quantum batteries: Energy and information storage in nano vacuum tube arrays, Complexity 15(5), 48-55 (2010), preprint
- 2/18/2010 Martin Singleton, Gregor Heiss, Alfred Hubler, The optimal shape of roots, Complexity (15)4, 9-11(2010), preprint
- 11/12/2009-11/14/2009 invited to Annual Business Network and Board of Trustees' Symposium of the Santa Fe Institute
- 11/5/2009-11/8/2009, invited talk at a Fall Symposium of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, slides
- 10/23/2009 the University of Illinois files a patent on digital batteries, inventors: A. Hubler and O. Osuagwu
- 10/16/2009 D. Sivil, A. Hubler, Quantized motion of a particle pushed around by waves, Complexity 15(2), 10-12(2009), preprint
- 9/14/2009-9/17/2009, talk "Energy and IT Technology in 20 years - a prediction based on current research progress" at Business Network Theme Week:The Future is Not What it Used to Be, Santa Fe Institute, NM.
- 7/24/2009-7/26/2009, CHAOS/XAOC 2009, a three-day celebratory meeting at the National Academy of Sciences Conference Center at Woods Hole, Massachusetts.
- 7/6/2009 CNLS colloquium at Los Alamos National Lab, slides
- 6/25/2009 Gave a lecture to 50 Middle Schools students (GUTS program)
- 6/9/2009 Feature article: G. Gintautas, A. Hubler, A simple, low-cost, data-logging pendulum built from a computer
mouse, Phys. Educ. 44, 488-491 (2009) reprint
- 6/8/2009 - 6/12/2009 fund raising in Washington for the Digital Batteries project
- 6/1/2009 - 6/30/2009 Gave the labs at the Complex Systems Summer School of the Santa Fe Institute
- 5/22/2009 received good teaching evaluations by the students, as every semester :)
large Physics Introductory course,
Physics freshman discovery course,
Physics graduate course
- 4/20/2009 A. Hubler, Digital wires, Complexity 14(5), 7-9 (2009), preprint
- 3/20/2009 two talks at the APS March Meeting in Pittsburgh, PA: Digital Wires slides,
Digital Batteries slides
- 3/1/2009 Glenn Foster, Alfred W. Hubler and Karin Dahmen, Resonance Curves of Multidimensional Chaotic
Systems. V. In, P. Longhini, A. Palacios (eds) Applications of Nonlinear Dynamics, Understanding Complex Systems (Springer-Verlag: Berlin, 2009), pp. 263-272. preprint
- 2/6/2009 Poster on my current educational research at the UIUC faculty retreat slides
- 12/15/2008 A. Hubler, Digital batteries, Complexity 14(3), 7-9 (2008), preprint
- 11/25/2008 A. Hubler, Self-adjusting systems avoid chaos, Complexity 14(4), 8-11 (2009), preprint
- 11/22/2008 Overview talk over my current research at the faculty retreat of the UIUC Physics department slides
- 11/10/2008 - 11/13/2008 Talk on e-learning at Nanotechnology Conference, Amman, Jordan, slides, Chairman of the Nano Energy Discussion Group summary, photos
- 11/7/2008 - 11/9/2008 Participate at the Business Network and Board of Trustees Symposium of the Santa Fe Institute, NM.
- 10/15/2008 - 10/17/2008 Invited talk at 3rd Network Science Workshop, United States Military Academy, Westpoint, NY.
- 9/12/08 T. Wotherspoon and A. Hubler, Adaption to the Edge of Chaos with Random-Wavelet Feedback, Journal of Physical Chemistry A 113(13), 223-3226(2009). prepint
- 8/26/08 My graduate student Glenn Foster defends his Ph.D. thesis successfully.
- 7/31/2008 - 8/1/2008 Participate at the at the MECS workshop at MITRE in Washington.
- 7/7/2008 V. Gintautas and A. Hubler, Resonant forcing of nonlinear systems of differential equations, Chaos 18, 033118 (2008), preprint
- 6/13/2008 Gave a lecture to 50 Middle Schools students (GUTS program)
- 6/1/2008 - 6/30/2008 Gave the labs at the Complex Systems Summer School of the Santa Fe Institute
- 5/28/2008 Wrote editorial on mixed reality, out-of-body experiences, and time-travel for Complexity 13(6), 7-9(2008), Preprint
- 5/12/2008 Gave a presentation on mixed reality at UCS2008
- 5/10/2008 My graduate student Vadas Gintautas defends his Ph.D. thesis successfully.
- 3/10/2008 Speaker at the APS press conference at 11AM in the press room in the New Orleans Convention Center in room B2-2 at the APS March Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (slides)
APS March Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (slides)
- Joined the editorial board of
Research Letters in Physics
- J. Xu, A. Hubler Detecting quasiperiodic structures with double
diffraction. Europhysics Letters 81, 16002 (2008).
- 1/18/2008 A. Hubler Homeopathic Dynamical Systems, Complexity 13(3), 8-11(2008),
Dynamics Days 2008/, Knoxville, TN
Multicultural Youth Conference
Talk with many lecture demos in 141 Loomis, UIUC, 1:10pm-1:45pm.
- V. Gintautas, G. Foster, and A. W. Hubler
Resonant forcing of select degrees of freedom of multidimensional chaotic map dynamics, J. Stat. Phys. 130 (3), 617-629 (2008), Preprint
Annual Business Network and Board of Trustees' Symposium "Diversity Collapse: When, Where, and What are the Consequences?" of the Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM.
- 10/31/2007 A. Hubler and K. C. Phelps Guiding a self-adjusting system through chaos. Complexity 13(2), 62-66(2007),
ICCS 2007/, Boston.
Slides of the overview talk for the opening session.
Network Science Workshop, West Point, NY.
Slides of invited talk.
Wolfram Technology Conference 2007, Champaign, IL.
- 9/24/2007-9/27/2007, International Conference on Applications in Nonlinear Dynamics, Office of Naval Research, held at Poipu Beach, Koloa (Kauai), Hawaii.
Slides of invited talk,
- W C. Strelioff, J. Crutchfield, A. Hubler k-th Order Markov Chains: Bayesian Inference, Model Comparison, Entropy Rate, and Out-of-class Modeling. Phys. Rev. E 76, 011106 (2007).
NKS 2007 conference, Burlington, VT, invited talk,
Complex Systems Summer School 2007, 2 plenary lectures and
- 5/10/2007 A. Hubler Understanding Complex Systems: Defining an abstract concept. Complexity 12(5), 5-9(2007),
- A. Gerig and A. Hubler Chaos in a one-dimensional compressible flow. Phys. Rev. E 75, 045202 (2007).
- UCS2007, chairman of the organizing committee
- V. Gintautas and A. Hubler Experimental evidence for mixed reality states in an interreality system. Phys. Rev. E 75, 057201 (2007).
- Invited talk APS March meeting in Denver, CO.
Coordination Dynamics, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL.
- 1/17/2007 A. Hubler, G. Foster and K. C. Phelps Managing chaos: Thinking out of the box. Complexity 12(3), 10-13 (2007),
- M. S. Singleton and A. Hubler Learning rate and attractor size of the single-layer perceptron. Phys. Rev. E 75, 026704 (2007).
- G. Foster, A. Hubler, and K. Dahmen Resonant forcing of multidimensional chaotic map dynamics. Phys. Rev. E 75, 036212 (2007).
Complex Systems Engineering, RAND Corporation, St. Monica, CA.
Dynamics Days 2007, Boston University, Boston, MA
- Publications 2006 and earlier
In the News:
Each month the American Physical Society selects four papers from all
of its journals for the APS tip sheet. The APS tip sheet is designed
to attract media attention to Physics research.
In June my paper "Experimental evidence for mixed reality states in an
interreality system" with my graduate student Vadas Gintautas, Phys.
Rev. E 75, 057201 (2007), was selected for the APS tip sheet:
Quite a few sites have picked up the news report. Links to news sites, etc: